Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Corny Cats and Carroty Dogs.

I just love it when the animals get all excited about food that you'd never expect. I came into the kitchen a few moments ago, and found Hamish sinking his little cat-fangs into a cob of the unhusked fresh corn that will be on our supper plates in about 45 minutes. I have heard that this kitty passion for corn is rather common. One of my friends has a cat that will carry a cob of corn around in his mouth like a dog with a bone. Brian, on the other hand, thinks that the scrapings of my morning bowl of muesli, yoghurt and soy milk are manna from Heaven. He even once ate a leftover raisin from the Alpen bowl. Crazy, corny, muesli-y felines...

Dorian LOVES carrots. Truly loves them. This is the dog who will eat pretty much anything (see previous post about the cheese-skirt, and you will find a partial list of things Dorian finds to be tasty treats), but some of the things he eats are really just time-fillers. Carrots, however, rock this dog's world. He's even choose them over poo. And that's saying something....

Mu old ferret, Dukie, was passionate about his veggies, and would physically recoil from meat. Ferrets are meant to be all fierce, the little, sinuous rat-slayers of England, but Dukie would only show his deep-seated ferret ferocity to unlucky cruciferous vegetables. The one time he ever bit me in pure fury was when I wrenched him off a lovely fresh head of cabbage from the Farmer's Market.

I guess I'm kind of waiting for Jemma Newt to bust out of her aquarium, slither into the kitchen, and make herself a pot of ichiban. That would be awesome. And now, I have to go and boil all the cat-cooties off my corn cobs!

2 comments:

Beeb said...

Corn cobs- really? Huh! Now I'm intrigued. I'll have to leave a big corn cob (husk included) lying about to see if the cat will take it. I find that she mostly likes to steal things that stink, like gym socks, garlic cloves and yeasty bread- not to eat, but to drag off into her secret hiding spot behind the couch.

Actually, she does like black olives- I've heard that a common one too. You should try that out!

QueenFee said...

Black olives! Too cute. I love 'em too, so maybe we could share.