Monday, February 8, 2010

When Visuals Do One No Favours...


I came across an article about DJing, and the nascence of the art in 70s New York. This article talked about some of the great DJ innovators back in the day, and went on to discuss Grandmaster Flash. Now, who above the age of 30, and a lifelong music person, has not heard of/listened to Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five somewhere along the line? While definitely being in the"aware of" camp, my memories were a little foggy, so I googled GMF. This turned out to be a rather large mistake, for I came across this 'gem'...

Now, far be it from me to not sympathise with past fashion errors being thrown back in one's face; I was the queen of 80s poodle hair, wore safety pinned sweatshirts and rubber bracelets. I have done my time in the Fashion Hall of Shame. But, COME ON. Geez, Louise, why in the name of all that is holy (or,at least, styled) did not some spin doc get ahold of this pic, have an exorcism performed, and the offending object buried at a crossroads at midnight? My eyes and sensibilities hurt in equal measures. I guess that Flash can rest easy in the knowledge that nobody who looks upon this photo will ever, EVER forget him. And not in a good way. Some fashion disasters are beyond absolution...

2 comments:

Radical Bradacal said...

I'm *just* under 30, and I know Grandmaster Flash... do I count?

QueenFee said...

You ALWAYS count! Bet you wished you'd never heard of him when you saw this pic, though, hey?!