Sunday, February 21, 2010

I Did It!

Yes, I did! I watched an entire Olympic hockey game tonight! Sue, Alyssa and Janis will be SO proud of me. I watched the U.S./Canada game, and here's how it went.

I cheered for Sidney Crosby, 'cause I discovered he's cute, I cheered for Niedermayer (sp?), 'cause he's Alyssa's favorite, and I cheered for Iginla, 'cause he's one of the Flames I know. I also quite dug Brodeur, especially after my dad told me that he is a little old, and past his best, but was one of the best goalies ever,ever at his peak. So there, all you American players! If Brodeur had been young, you would have faced the Looming Wall of Unstoppable Goalie Death! Yeah! .....And, speaking of goalies, what is up with that freak show in the American net? He appears to grow 17 extra arms and legs at every opportunity, and uses these bonus limbs to stop every shot thrown at him. Wally, my smart bro-in-law, said that he was the big star of the moment, and, regrettably for us, it seems to be true.

I also could not help but notice that there was an instance of egregious sitting....some U.S. player sat on Brodeur in a very unkind and compromising fashion, and was anything done about this sitting? No. AND, there was a bit of face-flailing, also against team Canada. Our player was flailed at. In the face. Now, face-flailing, to me, smacks of the spiteful and unsportsmanlike, and I hope the perp can live with himself tonight. Again, no penalty. Someone needs to look into sitting, and face-flailing as future penalty offences.

After all the ups and downs, I must say that those Americans played an excellent game, and I guess that they deserved their win. While it was all quite fun, I do not think that I shall be repeating this hockey-watching excercise, for all of its eye-opening qualities; it is just too, too stressful. I cannot really handle it. I had to lie down afterwards. The words "shitbuggerfuck"came out of my mouth one too many times for politeness or comfort. My mum was in the room, after all. The Canuckers will have to play on without me watching. This will no doubt be a blow, but I imagine they will find a way to go on. If they are in a medal game, I might make an exception, but I'd better refill a couple of prescriptions first...

1 comment:

Radical Bradacal said...

You are my hero!! I'm SOOOOO proud of you!! Just imagine my chagrin, watching this game in the US, while rooting for Canada - I was angry at my countrymen! And don't you worry - Hockey is full of karmic justice. Those face-flailers and goalie sitters WILL get theirs. Just you wait! (We Americans are quite rude when playing hockey ... it's all we can do to keep up with the beauty and grace of you Canadians!)