Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Summer starts...

It sure has. Summer has come in like a lion. I've been at a couple of fantastic back-yard summer parties (one of which I'd really rather not care to relive very much--party was great, but the drunken behaviour of myself and my husband doesn't bear much scrutiny), been sitting on the sand at a lake with friends, been up till midnight at the cabin, drinking bubbly and listening to the river, I've flung myself into summer food prep, and made loads of fresh salsas, dips and yummy salads, and I've been chewed on by mozzies on my own, flower-filled patio. Not bad, hey? Okay indeed.

In other news, I've aquired an axolotl. If you don't know what one is, google it and you're in for a treat. Mine is called Gilligan. He's leucistic (which basically means white, with black eyes) and just a baby. I rescued him from an insalubrious home, and I think I've finally got him on the right track. He's just lovely, and currently residing in the basement on account of heat-sensitivty. If they get too hot, one has to pop them in the fridge to have a little spell of health-giving cooling! How sweet is the visual of the fridge-axie!?

I'm digging the following at the moment:
1.) Book called "the Go-Between", by Leslie Hartley. It's a beautifully written little novel, deft and eloquent in its re-creation of the charmed Edwardian pre-war existense, and the coming of age of its hero. I can't believe that hardly anyone has heard of it, let alone read it. It's a beauty.
2.) TV series called "Bramwell". A great British series from awhile ago, centred around a passionate and principled woman doctor in Victorian London. There were a few women physicians in that time, and boy, did they have an uphill battle. This one is so well done, and the character of Eleanor Bramwell is played fabulously by Jemma Redgrave. I got mine at the library. Definitley worth a watch.
3.) My awesome, embroidered Mexican-hippie-handbag. It's kind of burlap-y, with all sorts of coloured patterns embroidered on it. Got it at good old Valoo Villaj for cheap-cheap. It's totally a Fiona bag. I win!!
4.) Fresh salsas. Simply cannot get enough of 'em. My homemade one is stellar, the best, really, but Planet Organic does a lovely one for my off days.

Lee has fixed my bike, and now with my new helmet, I'll be the biking babe of Haysboro. Gas is just too stinkin' expensive to be popping out to the liquor store any more. It'll be me and my backpack full o' booze.

So life is pretty good. I had a whole lot of busy, but things are slowing down now, so I'll feel the pull of the old blog more than I have of late.

Just looked at my watch.....10:17 pm. Is it too late to go and make some salsa??

1 comment:

elesciaeisler said...

oh my GOD! I finally figured out how to log in and leave a comment!!! But... I don't have much to say other than that. hahaha!

Next time.... next time...

xoxoxooxoox