Friday, June 20, 2008

Waves, Water slides and Nearly Wetting My Pants.

First off, dear readers, I must apologise for my silence. Our computer has pitched a fit, and is unusable for the near future. I was completely electronically silenced for a good while, but then lovely Clint kindly loaned us this excellent little laptop (upon which I am currently typing) until such time as Mac the Knife is back up and running. Only problem is when one is used to a Mac, these PCs can be a little confusing. But, hey, I'm managing now, so we're all good. *Thanks Clint! You're my Shining Star!*

Now to the meat of this post, and, as meat goes, it's a little tough and chewy. SO.... the wave pool. I was there this afternoon with Raine's class, as part of the FFCA Southwood Fun Day. Fun indeed. Actually, it turned out to be not nearly as onerous as I had expected, but for one thing. The accursed water slide. A creation of Beelzebub if I ever encountered one. Raine dragged me on 3 times, and each time I think I aged 10 years in the 30 or 40 seconds it took to go down. First part wasn't too bad... Not too fast, and brightly lit. Then, just when one thinks that maybe one is going to get out of it with just some mild heart palpitations and a grey hair or two, one enters the final stage of the slide. One is flung into a gaping, pitch-black tunnel of hell. One is going at about 260 km/hr in this infernal tunnel, which drops off precipitously and evilly, before depositing one into a catching pool thing where spectators snicker and stare as one attempts to gather the shred of one's dignity, pieces of one's now-dislodged bathing costume, and one's carefree child before making a jelly-legged (one, and not's one's daughter, I can assure you) exit into the main pool.

I was thirsting for a champagne to calm my shattered nerves with each descent. The lifeguards would turn on the waves in the pool, which were really quite fun. Raine & I bobbed along in the waves, and our friend Paul took her out into the depths of the deep end at the height of the waves. (I used this opportunity to cling to the side, weep quietly and check that I had not peed my pants, post water-slide) All in all, it was a good day. No children on the bottom of the pool, no fights, no trauma. Well, except my own. I can tell you all that the first drink of this evening will be well-earned indeed.

Stay tuned, now that I'm back in the land of the living, computer-wise. It's nearly summer, after all, and I shall have a bit of extra time on my hands.

1 comment:

Us said...

You're always welcome, glad I could help. XO.