Saturday, March 8, 2008

In which a stellar book goes to my shelf & an indifferent one goes back to the library.

The two books on question are "Journal of Dora Damage", by Belinda Starling, and "Ghostwalk" by Rebecca Stott. "Dora Damage" was truly outstanding. In case anybody goes to read it, I will not divulge any sensitive information, save a couple of plot details. It is about a 19th century London wife, who takes up her husband's bookbinding trade after illness makes an invalid of him. SHe soon slips down more than one slippery slope, and just how she handles it all is fascinating. Such perfect period detail, lovely writing and a super heroine. Dora is a keeper.

I finished this book on such a high, and turned immediately to one I had been eagerly anticipating, "Ghostwalk". Well, what a bummer. It looked so promising...about a woman who had spent her life researching Isaac Newton & the 17th Century Cambridge alchemists. Right up my alley, or so I thought.....Has anyone encountered a book where the main character is SO FREAKIN' ANNOYING that it renders the book unreadable? Well, see, I'm raising my hand, right here, right now. To boot, that author writes in the most self-absorbed, cack-handed manner, thrilling to her own attempts at enigma, mystery & sensuality. Gackk!!! I felt personally let down by this book--I wanted to take Ms. Stott, and smack her about a couple of times before pointing out that she entirely sabotaged a potentially great book with her pretension, and unbelievably crap character (who is also the narrator...cue adding insult to painful injury...).

So I will take no small amount of pleasure in posting it, unfinished, right back through the library slot from whence it came. Thankfully, I didn't pay money for it.

Some people are dogged book finishers. My mum is one of these. SHe will slog excruciatingly through a book which is holding no pleasure for her, just to complete it. I know others like this. I was kind of that way myself years ago. But, truly, there are just too many good books out there, madly waving their little book-hands, begging to be read & enjoyed, to spend time with vampire-books, the ones that suck all your energy out in the read & give you nada back.

"Dora D." is happily settled on my shelf, waiting for an inevitable, satisfying re-read, and poopy book is gone away, out of my life. I'm reading one now on vintage clothes....books, & the second hand shop experience in one package. Sweet for me!!

2 comments:

Aubadicus said...

"Has anyone encountered a book where the main character is SO FREAKIN' ANNOYING that it renders the book unreadable?"

Crime and Punishment.

QueenFee said...

Touche!