Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Where, Oh Where Is Spring?

Funny....I never get feeling gloomy in the thick of winter. Winter is kind of nice, and I love to see the snow, all glittery and bright. I love the clear, sunny winter days here, with the endless Alberta sky just as big and open as in the summer months. I love Christmas, and all the fun of that crazy season. We are friends, winter and I, most of the time.

What I do not love, however, is the crap-assed excuse for spring we have in this part of the world. Spring is meant to be all about rebirth, renewal and glossy, little green shoots of life delighting one's eyes. Here, all we get is frequent gloom, and wet, soggy snow that just goes on and on and, for the love of fuck, on!!! Gets my goat, and gets me down. (Small interjection: Here, I think of the funny, little childrens' book character, Junie B. Jones, who riffs wonderfully on the idea of 'getting a goat'....) We warmth-starved creatures try so hard to unfold and blossom after a long winter, but we get nada in return from the weather gods. We tentatively produce sandals, shorts and other accessories of decent weather after the tiniest bit of promise, and then are consistently and collectively kicked in the teeth by Not-Spring, forced to trudge back home, back to cars, etc, our sandal-clad feet blueish from the snow that creeps over our toes. Gooseflesh marks our bare arms and legs, as the weather gods laugh and laugh at our tragic optimism.

Enough, already, ok? Could we not enjoy some warmth, some daffodils, some catkins, perhaps a baby bunny or two? Is it too much to ask to send in the Spring?

No comments: